An Enlightening Diwali

November 5, 2006

Vipul Shaha, Symbiosis College, Pune

Imagine yourself spending 10 long days of your Diwali holidays at a remote place—where you are expected to observe absolute silence, where all you do is meditate for 12 hours and take only one simple meal per day, where you are gently woken up by the sound of a bell at 4 am. every morning, a place without cell phone, television, newspaper, music, books; and forget about the internet! In short--a place which is a whole new world in itself.  Sounds difficult?  Well, that’s exactly how I spent my Diwali holidays and still had one of the happiest times of my life! 



October was an eventful month for me.  Immediately   after my return from a dream tour of the Singapore City—which was a prize I won from Air India in a national competition, and before I could even digest all the fun memories of my visit, I had to appear for the remaining three papers of our college semester exam!  As soon as the exams got over, I headed to Nashik for my first ever 10 days Vipassana Meditation camp, even as I was feeling a little hesitant of my decision. I would be spending the next 10 days of my life in a very unusual environment and wouldn’t be home for my favorite festival of Diwali.  However, as the camp reached its conclusion I really had to thank myself for the decision. 

With Acharya Goenkaji before I had the opportunity to attend
my first-ever Teenager's Vipassana course in his blessed presence


Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is one of India's most ancient techniques of meditation.  Vipassana is a way of self-transformation through self-observation.  As one starts closely observing what goes on within the body without reacting to it, many truths start unfolding.  The scientific laws that operate one's thoughts, feelings, judgments and sensations become clear. Through direct experience, the nature of how one grows or regresses, how one produces suffering or frees oneself from suffering is understood. Life becomes characterized by increased awareness, non-delusion, self-control and peace.  This non-sectarian technique aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and the resultant highest happiness*.  A mind that is perfectly in one’s control can achieve great things.  What I found most appealing about Vipassana is its absolute focus on direct self- realization of truth with a scientific approach.

 

There are special moments in life that shape one’s future in a significant way.  I feel that these ten days that I spent on a small hilltop during the meditation camp would turn out to be such defining moments of my life.  They offered me a much needed pause to discover myself and realize my inner calling.  It was during these ten days that I experienced the rare joy of having my heart filled with love for every living being on Earth.  It’s an experience that cannot be described in words.  When the whole of India was celebrating the festival of lights—by lighting Diyas (Oil Lamps) outside their home, I lit one within myself.  A lamp that of positive energy, self-confidence, peace and love.  An enlightening Diwali indeed!  😊        

 


*Source:  http://www.dhamma.org/

           

No comments:

Post a Comment